1. Ear signs
The horses’ ears and head movement are the first signs that he will give. He will tell us or other horses how he feels using his ears. Here are a few feelings that you can tell by looking at his ears :
2. Tail signs
Although the ears and head movements are the first signs that the horse will give us, let’s not forget about the other end. The tail movements.
3. Legs and position signs
- If your horse constantly strikes the ground with his front hoof, it is a sign that he is very impatient.
- If your horse hits the ground with his back hoof, it is a sign that he is unhappy. He may try to kick.
- If your horse stands on 3 legs, he is relaxed.
- If your horse is laying down, he is probably just relaxing. Although, if you notice that he is weak, he might be sick. If he gets up and lays down again several times or if he tries to roll over many times he might have a colic, wich is really bad..
- There are also many twitch (bad habits) that either comes from a bored horse or nervous horse.
If you are new to horses, these are the main signs to look at. There’s many more. The best way to learn them is to be around horses. If you want to understand them, you need to pay attention.
If you think your horse is scared, then you should ask yourself : what is my horse scared of? Is there anything new in his environment? A weird noise? A sudden movement from someone or something? Try to look around you and think like a horse, and find out what is scaring your buddy.
If your horse looks weak or sick, if you don’t know what he has, the best thing to do is to call your veterinarian.
And if your horse looks happy, well just enjoy the moment with him. Take pictures and video for good memories 🙂